European Economic Area (EEA) Family Permits

This type of entry clearance is for nationals that live outside the European Economic Area (EEA) but have a family member living inside the EEA who is not a British citizen.

    You qualify for an EEA family permit if you are either:

  • The wife, husband, civil or unmarried partner, child, grandchild, parent or grandparent of a non-UK EEA national, or
  • A dependant extended family member, e.g. brother, sister or cousin; the main carer of a British citizen; a financially self-sufficient child who is an EEA national; or a child of someone who was a worker in the UK and an EEA national
  • Under the “Surinder Singh” Judgement – you are the family member of a British citizen who has lived and worked in another EEA country
  • With a “retained right of residence” – you have the right to stay in the UK as the family member of an EEA national who has died, left the UK or is no longer your spouse or civil partner

Further requirements for the non-EEA national to obtain an EEA family permit include:

  • Travelling with the EEA national family member, or
  • Will be joining the EEA national in the UK **

** If the EEA family member is a British citizen, you will need to apply for a visa rather than an EEA family permit.

If the non-EEA family member is living in the UK and has obtained residency in the UK, you do not need to apply for the EEA family permit each time you enter the UK.

You must be outside the UK to apply for an EEA family permit. EEA family permits are valid for up to six months.

Back to UK