Representative of an Overseas Business Visa
This type of entry clearance allows an individual to come to the UK to set up a branch or subsidiary company on behalf of an overseas company which does not already have representation in the UK and will continue to have its headquarters outside of the UK.
The following criteria must be met to qualify to be a sole representative of a company:
- Must be recruited and employed outside the UK by a company whose headquarters are outside the UK
- Must have considerable related industry experience
- Must be appointed to a senior position (but not a major shareholder) and have complete authority to make decisions on behalf of the company
- Intends to set up the company’s first commercial registered branch or wholly owned subsidiary in the UK
Employees from overseas newspapers, news agencies or broadcasting organisations who have been placed on a long-term assignment in the UK are also eligible for this type of visa.
- Application must be made from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
- Applicant must have sufficient funds to support themselves without any recourse to UK public funds
- Applicant must meet the English language requirements
The requirements for the visa are:
The English language requirements are as follows:
- Pass an English language test with at least a level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) in all four components – reading , writing, speaking and listening, or
- Have a degree level qualification from an English speaking country that is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree
Exceptions are for those individuals who are a national of a majority English speaking country.