Spouse Visa


This type of entry clearance is for the wife, husband or civil partner of an individual who is already present and has settled status in the UK.

The applicant must be able to prove the following:


  • The couple are both at least 18 years of age
  • The couple have met prior to submitting the application
  • The couple are legally married or in a civil partnership recognised in the UK
  • The spouse or civil partner is already present and settled in the UK
  • The couple plan to live together permanently
  • They are able to meet the minimum income requirements and financially support themselves and any dependants without any recourse to UK public funds
  • They legally own or rent adequate accommodation for themselves and any dependants without any recourse to UK public funds
  • The applicant must have proficiency in the English language


Income Requirements


There is a minimum earnings requirement of £18,600 gross per year (or savings of £62,500 if there are no earnings from employment, self-employment or other means of income) to qualify to sponsor a spouse, fiancée or civil partner. If a child will also be sponsored, the minimum earnings requirement is £22,400 and £2,400 for each additional child.

Note this does not include British and European Economic Area (EEA) children or children already settled in the UK.



Evidence of adequate accommodation can include:

  • Tenancy Agreement, or
  • Land Registry Certificate / mortgage documentation


English Language Requirements


If the applicant is not a national of a majority English speaking country, evidence to prove proficiency in the English language can include:

  • A degree level qualification from an English speaking country, or
  • Passing an approved English language test (speaking and listening) to at least level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)


Back to UK