Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student visa if you are aged 16 or older. The length of your stay depends on the type of course you are taking and what study courses you have already completed.

To be eligible for this visa, you must be able to prove the following:

  • Have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with an education institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence
  • Can speak, read, write and understand English
  • Have adequate maintenance funds to cover the cost of your course fees and living expenses while you are in the UK without any recourse to UK public funds
  • You can work while you are studying in the UK depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have.

You can do a course that’s one of the following:

  • Full-time leading to a qualification that’s at least level 6 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF)
  • An overseas course of degree level study that’s equal to a UK higher education course and is being run by an overseas higher education institution
  • Full-time course with at least 15 hours per week of organised daytime study leading to a qualification below degree level but at least NQF
  • Recognised foundation programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist

    Back to UK