UK Residence Card for EU Citizens

You may be able to apply for a UK Residence card if you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and you are the family member, or extended family member, of an EEA national.

Whilst you do not need to apply for a UK Residence card as a family member, it can assist you with:

  • Ease of entry into the UK if you travel abroad
  • Shows employers that you are allowed to work in the UK
  • Proves you qualify for certain benefits and services in the UK

You must apply for a UK Residence card or have a valid EEA Family Permit if you are an extended family member.

    You may also be eligible for a UK Residence card if you have a “retained right of residence” or apply as a “Surinder Singh” case.

  • Retained right of residence – you have the right to stay in the UK as the family member of an EEA national who has died, left the UK or is no longer your spouse or civil partner
  • Surinder Singh case – you are the family member of a British citizen who has lived and worked in another EEA country

Back to UK